From our experience, we have come to the conclusion that "Preventive Maintenance" is imperative on protecting your roof investment and the longevity in your roof system. That's why American Roof has dedicated a maintenance team to specifically handle this program. We offer many programs depending on your specific needs. We perform an initial inspection of each building to help us determine which program will work for you.
Some of the things we investigate are:
- Type of drainage
- General overall conditions
- Type of roof system
- Conditions of any roof flashings, copings or other roof penetrations that may be present
- Survey surroundings to determine how much debris may end up on the roof and into the drainage system.
All of this information is then compiled into a detailed report with photographs for your review. Along with this report, is our recommendation for maintenance on your specific building. In most cases, a program is designed around a Spring and a Fall visit when it is most necessary. This allows us to clean the gutters and roof drains in the Spring and then again in the fall after the leaves drop.
Any major problems that need to be addressed will be documented with photographs and quoted separately from the maintenance agreement. Many of our customers choose to set a price "not to exceed" when there is an additional repair that's needed and can be handled on a scheduled visit which saves the cost of additional trips back to the job.
Why Regular Inspections and Maintenance:
Roofs are subjected to harsh weather, structural movement and stresses, as well as chemicals present in the atmosphere. While normal aging will occur on all roofs, small problems stemming from neglect, abuse, contamination, error or accident can result in costly repairs or premature failing of the roofing system, if not detected. A regular program of inspection and repairs will help detect minor problems before they become serious, thus avoiding interruptions of the building functions, and most importantly, protecting the owner's investment by adding years to the life of the roof.
The Benefits of this program:
It sharply cuts costs while allowing you to control and manage your roof systems investment. It enables you to budget effectively for planned maintenance activities on a yearly basis, and to forecast major replacement costs ahead of time. It keeps your roof comparatively problem-free, and substantially extends its service life. Finally, it offers you real protection against the potentially devastating effects of major roof systems failure.
How the Program Works:
- The program is customized to your building and roof types.
- Wet, damaged, and deteriorating areas are identified.
- You get a written evaluation report, including a detailed description of the condition of the roof, a roof plan with locations and descriptions and/or photographs of particular trouble spots, a list of necessary special repairs or improvements, and an estimated budget and schedule for the recommended work.
- Physical repairs which you approve beforehand are made to bring the roof system to optimal condition.
- A schedule of continuing semi-annual inspections and planned maintenance procedures (designed to comply fully with your warranty and prevent future problems from developing) is developed, costed, reviewed with you and then implemented.
- Routine maintenance is provided.
Roof Maintenance Helps Prevent:
- Costly emergency repairs
- Damage to finished goods
- Downtime in production
- Damage to floors and walls
- Damage to electrical systems
- Slip and fall accidents (possible legal claims)
- Mold and mildew (air quality issues)
- Tenant complaints
- Labor expense for cleanup
Estimating Roof Maintenance Costs
For budgeting for roof maintenance, building owners and property managers can generally begin with the following guidelines:
|Age of Roof
||Cost per Square Foot
|1 - 5 Years
||5,000 or less
||$0.05 - $0.50
||5,001 to 10,000
||$0.15 - $0.30
||10,001 to 20,000
||$0.13 - $0.25
||20,001 to 50,000
||$0.10 - $0.20
|6 - 10 Years
||Add 25% to figures above
|11 - 15 Years
||Add 50% to figures above
|16 + Years
||Add 75% to figures above
Keeping your building's roof healthy is the key to maintaining the life of the roof. If you budget for roof maintenance and schedule your roofing contractor for twice yearly maintenance for the life of your roof will stand the test of time.
If you have questions, or would like to discuss the maintenance of your roof, please call our office at 1-800-676-4350.
** These guidelines are designed to included light maintenance on a standard roof with no unusual or major roof damage. **